- 2 cups sifted flour
- ½ cup powdered (confectioner’s) sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
For the Top:
- 4 large beaten eggs
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of almond extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon rind zest
For the base—
Mix the butter into the flour and sugar until it clings together. Press evenly with your hands into an ungreased 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan. Bake at 350° F. for 20 – 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for at least an hour.
For the filing—
Beat together eggs, sugar and lemon juice. Sift together flour and baking powder. Stir into egg mixture.
Pour over baked, cooled crust. Bake at 350° F. for 25 minutes. Cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into 1 inch square bars.
This recipe appeared in my review book, Baby Bunco, by Julie B. Cosgrove.